Do you use an em dash for quotes?
Use an em dash before the source of a quotation when the source is listed after the quotation. Yes that’s an em dash. You don’t need a space. Let a dash precede the reference (author, title of work, or both) following a direct quotation.
How do I create an em dash in Word?
Fortunately, there are three easy methods:
- Press [Ctrl]+[Alt]+-.
- Hold down the [Alt] key and type 0151 on the numeric keypad.
- Choose Symbol from the Insert menu, click the Special Characters tab, highlight the em dash, and click Insert.
How do you use em dash in a sentence?
The em dash can be used in place of a colon when you want to emphasize the conclusion of your sentence. The dash is less formal than the colon. After months of deliberation, the jurors reached a unanimous verdict—guilty. The white sand, the warm water, the sparkling sun—this is what brought them to Fiji.
How do you write an action in dialogue?
Here are tips for writing dialogue that connects your characters to their world:
- Use background action to add tone and mood.
- Add movement to dialogue to keep the story moving.
- Use mid-dialogue actions for tense interruption.
- Reveal character relationships through movement and action.
What is an em dash?
When to Use Em Dashes The em dash (about as wide as an uppercase M), is a relatively artistic punctuation mark, compared to the more technical hyphen and en dash. An em dash is most often used to indicate a pause in a sentence. It’s stronger than a comma, but weaker than a period or semicolon.
What is a partial quote in journalism?
Partial quotations A combination of direct and paraphrased quotations. Will have some words in quotation marks. AP states this style is overused by professionals.
What is the correct way to write a quote?
Proper Punctuation – Quotes
- If you start by telling who said it, use a comma and then the first quotation mark.
- If you put the quote first and then tell who said it, use a comma at the end of the sentence, and then the second quotation mark.
- Punctuation always goes inside the quotation marks if it is a direct quote.
How do you write a partial quote?
A partial quote should not be introduced by a comma. Use one only if the sentence would require a comma if the same words were not in quotation marks. The author of the study issued a warning to “people who eat right but sit on their duffs all day.”
How do you write someone being cut?
Mini Lesson: Punctuating Interrupted Dialogue
- Use a speech verb with a modifier.
- Use an em dash inside the quotation marks to cut off the character mid-dialogue, usually with either (A) another character speaking or (B) an external action.
- Use em dashes outside the quotation marks to set off a bit of action without a speech verb.
What is a partial quote example?
A partial quotation is one that does not constitute a complete thought or is a complete thought has been incorporated into a framing sentence. Capitalization and punctuation depend on circumstances, as shown in these examples. Original: His comment left me wondering whether I’d be “invited to resign”, as he had put it.