How does acute stress affect the body?
Acute stress—stress that is momentary or short-term such as meeting deadlines, being stuck in traffic or suddenly slamming on the brakes to avoid an accident—causes an increase in heart rate and stronger contractions of the heart muscle, with the stress hormones—adrenaline, noradrenaline, and cortisol—acting as …
What are the factors that affect human settlement?
Human Settlement Factors:
- Body of water (transportation routes, water for drinking and farming)
- Flat land (easy to build)
- Fertile soil (for crops)
- Forests (timber and housing)
Why is it important to maintain your mental health?
It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood. Over the course of your life, if you experience mental health problems, your thinking, mood, and behavior could be affected.
What factors affect mental health?
For example, the following factors could potentially result in a period of poor mental health:
- childhood abuse, trauma, or neglect.
- social isolation or loneliness.
- experiencing discrimination and stigma.
- social disadvantage, poverty or debt.
- bereavement (losing someone close to you)
- severe or long-term stress.
How can you improve your mental health?
How to look after your mental health
- Talk about your feelings. Talking about your feelings can help you stay in good mental health and deal with times when you feel troubled.
- Keep active.
- Eat well.
- Drink sensibly.
- Keep in touch.
- Ask for help.
- Take a break.
- Do something you’re good at.
How does informal settlements affect the environment?
Informal settlements threaten environmentally sensitive areas (aquifers, forests, wetlands and other bodies of water). Settlements built on steep slopes greatly increase the costs of infrastructure provision and sometimes threaten residents’ safety because of mud and land slides.