How use VLOOKUP formula in Excel with example?
Use the VLOOKUP function to look up a value in a table. For example: =VLOOKUP(A2,A10:C20,2,TRUE) =VLOOKUP(“Fontana”,B2:E7,2,FALSE)
How use VLOOKUP step by step?
How to use VLOOKUP in Excel
- Step 1: Organize the data.
- Step 2: Tell the function what to lookup.
- Step 3: Tell the function where to look.
- Step 4: Tell Excel what column to output the data from.
- Step 5: Exact or approximate match.
How is VLOOKUP used in Excel?
VLOOKUP stands for ‘Vertical Lookup’. It is a function that makes Excel search for a certain value in a column (the so called ‘table array’), in order to return a value from a different column in the same row.
What are the benefits of Vlookup in Excel?
A VLOOKUP can lookup data automatically instead of a person having to do it manually, so time-saving is the first benefit that springs to mind. How much time a VLOOKUP can save depends on the amount of time it takes a person to look up the data manually, how many records are being looked up and whether…
How do you do a VLOOKUP in Excel for Dummies?
To easily use VLOOKUP in Excel follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: Organize your data for VLOOKUP.
- Step 2: Set the Lookup Value.
- Step 3: Specify where to search.
- Step 4: Specify which information you need.
- Step 5: Choose between Exact or approximate match.
Why is my VLOOKUP not finding a value?
Solution: If you are sure the relevant data exists in your spreadsheet and VLOOKUP is not catching it, take time to verify that the referenced cells don’t have hidden spaces or non-printing characters. Also, ensure that the cells follow the correct data type.
How do you do a Vlookup in Excel for Dummies?
How do I match two columns in Excel using Vlookup?
How to compare two columns in Excel using VLOOKUP
- For lookup_value (1st argument), use the topmost cell from List 1.
- For table_array (2nd argument), supply the entire List 2.
- For col_index_num (3rd argument), use 1 as there is just one column in the array.
- For range_lookup (4th argument), set FALSE – exact match.
How do I match two columns in Excel using VLOOKUP?
What are the disadvantages of VLOOKUP?
VLOOKUP disadvantages: only provides data in a column. a single value must be in the row. data types should be the same in both columns. cannot lookup values from the left.
What is better than a VLOOKUP?
Simply put, the LOOKUP Function is better than VLOOKUP, as it’s less restrictive in its use. It was only introduced by Microsoft in 2016, so it’s still new to most users. Benefits of LOOKUP vs VLOOKUP: Users can search for data both vertically (columns) and horizontally (rows)