What are the three merits and demerits of democracy?
Answer Expert Verified 1) a democratic government is better form of government because it is more accountable form of government. 2) democracy improves the quality of decision making. 3) democracy enhances the dignity of citizens. 4) poor and least educated has the same status as the rich and educated.
What makes a good democracy?
According to American political scientist Larry Diamond, democracy consists of four key elements: a political system for choosing and replacing the government through free and fair elections; the active participation of the people, as citizens, in politics and civic life; protection of the human rights of all citizens; …
What are merits and demerits of electoral competition?
(i) An electoral competition creates a sense of disunity and factionalism in every locality. (ii) Different political parties and leaders often level allegations against one another. (iii) Parties and candidates often use dirty tricks to win elections.
Why is it important to conduct election?
There are different ways to organize an election in different countries. Voters might vote for an individual, or they might vote for a political party (party list). Elections keep a democratic country functioning, as they give people the right to select their own government.
What are the main demerits of democracy?
Demerits of democracy
- Leaders keep changing in a democracy leading to instability.
- Democracy is all about political competition and power play, leaving no scope for morality.
- Many people have to be consulted in a democracy that leads to delays.
- Elected leaders do not know the best interest of the people, resulting in bad decisions.
What are the merits and demerits of social media?
The merits of social media
- It has stayed true to its name – social.
- More freedom to express.
- Educational breach till the grassroots.
- Small businesses have a marketing platform.
- Unhindered spread of awareness.
- Happiness index is at an all-time low.
- Fake news spread like wildfire.
- Cyberbullying and trolling.
What are the three demerits of electoral competition?
The demerits of the political competition is:
- It creates disunity in a particular locality, party politics emerges.
- Different parties level false allegations against other parties.
- Party and leaders use dirty tricks like booth capturing, not letting the people who are against them to vote to win the election.
What are its merits and demerits?
The difference between merits and demerits is that merits are the strengths of anything be it a policy,law, agreement, action. They show what benefits it has and how it can be gainfully used. Demerits on the other hand are the weaknesses of anything. They tell what problems one should anticipate .
How does democracy allow us to correct our mistakes?
The advantage in a democracy is that such mistakes cannot be hidden for long. There is a space for public discussion on these mistakes. And there is room for correction. Either the rulers have to change their decisions, or the rulers can be changed.
Why are elections important in a democracy Class 7?
Elections give the opportunity to every adult citizen of the country to choose his/her representative. This makes the country truly democratic. Elections are important for the following reasons: People participate in the governance of their country by choosing their own representative through elections.
What are the demerits of election?
Demerits of electoral competition are:
- It creates disunity and factionalism in every locality.
- Different political Parties and leaders often level allegations against one another.
- It is often said that the pressure to win electoral fights does not allow sensible long-term policies to be formulated.
Why are elections important in a representative democracy?
Another responsibility of citizens is voting. The law does not require citizens to vote, but voting is a very important part of any democracy. By voting, citizens are participating in the democratic process. Citizens vote for leaders to represent them and their ideas, and the leaders support the citizens’ interests.
How does democracy improve the quality of decision making 3 points?
Democracy is based on consultation and discussion. A democratic decision always involves many persons, discussions and meeting. When a number of people put their heads together, they are able to point out possible mistakes in any decision. Thus, democracy improves the quality of decision making.
How Democracy improve quality of decision-making?
- Democracy completely relies on consultation and discussion.
- A democratic decision always involves a large group of people, discussions and meetings and they are able to point out possible mistakes in any sort of decision.
- However, the advantage of taking time over important decisions is an added plus point.