What does diction mean in English?
Diction refers to the linguistic choices a writer makes to effectively convey an idea, a point of view, or tell a story. In literature, the words used by an author can help establish a distinct voice and style.
Where does the word foreshadow come from?
foreshadow (v.) “indicate beforehand,” 1570s, figurative, from fore- + shadow (v.); the notion seems to be a shadow thrown before an advancing material object as an image of something suggestive of what is to come. Related: Foreshadowed; foreshadowing. As a noun from 1831.
What part of speech is foreshadow?
How do you use the word diction in a sentence?
Diction sentence example
- His perfect diction never failed to be commented on.
- Clear diction , not a “posh voice”, was what was wanted.
- His diction is pure, his style correct, his versification smooth though monotonous.
- His speech and diction were plain, terse, forcible.
Can foreshadow be a noun?
noun. an indication of something that will happen in the future, often used as a literary device to hint at or allude to future plot developments: The gothic novel uses foreshadowing to build suspense.
What is a antonym for foreshadow?
Princeton’s WordNet. prefiguration, foreshadowing, adumbration(adj) the act of providing vague advance indications; representing beforehand. Antonyms: unprophetic.
What is the enunciation?
an act or manner of enunciating. utterance or pronunciation. a formal announcement or statement: the enunciation of a doctrine.
How do you get good word choice?
6 Ways to Improve the Use of Effective Word Choice in Writing
- Watch Out for Words that Sound the Same. Homonyms are words that sound the same but have very different meanings.
- Aim for Active Voice Over Passive Voice. Part of choosing the right words comes down to the sentence structure.
- Be Wary of Synonyms.
- Clarify Pronouns.
- Limit Overly Technical Terms.
- Reduce the Use of Fluff.
What is word choice called?
Diction (Latin: dictionem (nom. dictio), “a saying, expression, word”), in its original meaning, is a writer’s or speaker’s distinctive vocabulary choices and style of expression in a poem or story.
Why is word choice important in a poem?
All strong writers have something in common: they understand the value of word choice in writing. Strong word choice uses vocabulary and language to maximum effect, creating clear moods and images and making your stories and poems more powerful and vivid.